Hair spray, vitamins, antifreeze, pet products, house paint. These and other common items found in any home are useful when used correctly. But in the wrong hands, they can be deadly. Learn more about how to keep your home safe from accidental poisoning by taking this quiz, based in part on information from the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC).
Many dangerous household products don't have "poison" on the label. A poison is any substance that can harm the body. According to the AAPCC, other dangerous materials and household poisons include:
Labels can carry different words to warn about them. A label that carries the word "danger" is a serious poison or may be explosive. "Warning" is used for products that are slightly less dangerous, but that could still make you sick or seriously injured. "Caution" is used on products that are less dangerous than those marked with "Warning." These products can irritate the skin or eyes, or make you ill if you breathe the fumes. For more details on a product, see the National Library of Medicine's product database at householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov.
All poison control centers have the same number: 800-222-1222. You can also call 911, or your local emergency medical number. Many cases of poisoning can be safely treated at home. Check with the poison control center to find out what you should do. Here are some basic emergency tips for poisoning:
200 West Church Street
Lexington, TN 38351